Thursday, June 04, 2015

Email Port 995 Blocked on Wireless by BitDefender

I am posting this because it took me a few hours to fix and I could not find any solutions for it on the internet.

I use Outlook 2013 as my email client for both Verizon and Gmail (Google Apps). I have them both set up as POP3 using the recommended port 995 (SSL) and the recommended incoming mail servers - pop.verizon.net and pop.gmail.com.

The issue I had was an interesting one. Everything worked perfectly when my ethernet cable was plugged in via a wired connection directly to my FIOS router. But when I unplugged the cable and connected via wireless, my incoming e-mail stopped working (outgoing was still sending fine and I could connect fine to the internet).

Initially, I figured the problem must be my FIOS router blocking traffic on port 995 only when I was connected via wireless (perhaps they thought this was a less secure environment). So I logged in to my FIOS router configuration (192.168.1.1 in my browser and admin credentials) and set up a port forwarding rule to forward both TCP and UDP on port 995 to my ip address (which I looked up via "ipconfig" command on the command line). Surprisingly this had no effect.

I called Verizon and after 30 minutes they said yep there is something blocking port 995 but they could not help beyond that.

Next I added an incoming rule on Windows Firewall to allow port 995, but that didn't help either.

Finally, I disabled by "BitDefender" virus protection and that fixed the problem. So BitDefender was blocking port 995 only when I was connected via wireless. I called our BitDefender administrator, and he had to log in to the BitDefender admin console and create a rule to allow port 995 traffic on my IP address. After he did that everything was working.

You may be wondering why more people are not affected by this issue. I thhink most people these days are using IMAP and  not POP3. IMAP uses port 993, so maybe that port is not blocked. And I don't think that many people use BitDefender either.

Hopefully this will help other people with this issue - and even if you don't have BitDefender, you may be able to use a similar troubleshooting process.

2 Comments:

At 4:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The same situation on Yahoo mail.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Bitdefender Support Number Uk said...

If you are unable to update Bitdefender 2019 then to get that fixed conduct a proper scan on the system then get all the extra files and folders removed from the system in order to free up the space. If nothing helps then it is advisable that you conduct a manual update on the software.
Bitdefender Support Number UK
Bitdefender Login

 

Post a Comment

<< Home