Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Gornisht Helfen

We are all familiar with some Yiddish phrases that have survived in English - like Oy Vey which loosely means "woe is me". However, I never quite understood 99% of the bizarre Yiddish sayings my grandparents used to be heard muttering to each other.

But I must admit, once in a while I hear a Yiddish saying that really hits the mark, with no true English equivalent. An example was a discussion a few weeks ago with my dad when my parents were visiting for the weekend.

Me: "Dad, you printed out three different maps, you called the hotel for directions, you got directions from the website, and you still got lost TWICE looking for the hotel."
Dad: "Gornisht Helfen"

(Rough translation of Gornisht Helfen: "Nothing Helps")

1 Comments:

At 11:18 PM, Blogger shoshanamom said...

Did he really say that? thats hysterical! I really LOL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home