Thursday, June 16, 2011

Solution to FTP Problem with Windows Security Settings

I was trying to FTP some files today on to a virtualized Windows 2003 server. First, it would not work in Filezilla. It kept dropping the connection. Then I tried just using the address bar in Windows Explorer (ftp://username:password@ftp.edge-technologies.com/folder/). This didn't work either, but I got a clue into the problem. The following error message would pop up: "Your current security settings do not allow you to download files from this location". The problem was the Internet Explorer download settings were set to a very high level.

I found a workaround, which was to add ftp.edge-technologies.com to my trusted sites and then instead of using Windows Explorer, use Internet Explorer to navigate to ftp://username:password@ftp.edge-technologies.com/. I could then right-click on the items in IE and select "Copy To Folder" which allowed me to them paste them (in Windows Explorer) into the desired folder, at which point it would download the files.

2 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Blogger SMK BAHAU said...

Thanks.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Kurt Gross said...

PROBLEM: I use Windows Explorer to upload html files to my GoDaddy hosting FTP site and I'm now getting blocked.

The message says "Your current security settings do not allow you to download files from this location."

SOLUTION: Using part of your solution, I simply added my ftp://... address to my InternetExplorer > Tools > Internet Options > Security > Sites (beside "Trusted Sites") and that solved my problem.

Note, you will have to close the windows where your computer files are shown and re-open them for the change to take place else the old settings are still in play with any windows you opened prior to the change.

Thanks,

Kurt Gross
http://www.Grossinternational.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home