Saturday, June 07, 2008

Change Worth Making

I occasionally watch a TV show on VH1 called "Best Week Ever". On the show, semi-celebrities make snarky comments about current events in the news and pop culture. It is not at all enriching, but can be enjoyable at times.

My favorite line that I heard one time on the show was from Christian Finnegan, regarding when internet spoilers were coming out before the release of the final Harry Potter book:

"I don't want to spoil anyone's fun, but if finding out the ending to a Harry Potter novel is going to radically change your life, maybe that's a change worth making."


Like most good humor, this has a deeper truth to it. When faced with a frenetic situation, I think many people use the relaxation technique of pretending it is a year later and realizing that in retrospect this "crisis" is likely to be of little or no significance in the scheme of things. I like the concept of the Harry Potter quote going even a step further - suggesting that you could in fact be better off with the dreaded outcome than with the desired outcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home