Friday, April 28, 2023

FIOS CR1000A Router Dropping Connections

I recently contacted Verizon and found out I could get faster internet for a lower price, so I agreed to upgrade. Unfortunately, I found out later there would be a $149 installation fee and I would have to upgrade to their new equipment. But I decided it was worth it to get the upgraded technology and faster internet.

After the installation of the new CR1000A router, I was having problems with the Wi-Fi. Most of my connected devices were dropping the connection many times throughout the day. This was especially frustrating, since I work from home and do all of my work over the Wi-Fi connection.

This is what I did to fix the problem:

  1. Log in to router settings by going to https://192.168.1.1/ and entering the password provided on the router
  2. [Warning: You will be disconnected from the network after the next step]
  3. Under Wi-Fi / Primary Network, turn off the "Self-Organized Network (SON)" option
  4. After a minute or so, the network will reconnect and you can return to the configuration screen. You will now see that the Wi-Fi configuration is split into 3 bands (2.4 GHz, 5.0 GHz, 6.0 GHz)
  5. For the 6.0 GHz network, I left this as disabled for now
  6. For the 5.0 GHz network, I left these settings the same as they were before
  7. For the 2.4 GHz network, I changed the Wi-Fi Name to add "-2.4G" at the end (so now it is MYNETWORKNAME-2.4G)
  8. This fixed the problem on most of my devices.
  9. For any devices that were still dropping connections (mostly older devices), I just disconnected them from the 5G network and connected to the 2.4G network, and that fixed the problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home