Friday, July 30, 2010

I Knew It

About a month ago, I posted here that I was getting creeped out lately about how personal those banner ads seem to be getting. I posted a few screen captures from dictionary-type sites as examples, since these sites seem pretty harmless when you are visiting them.

Now today I read this article in the Wall Street Journal. It exposes the burgeoning industry of harvesting secrets from our computers. The kicker is that the top culprit they mention is none other than Dictionary.com. "A visit to the online dictionary site resulted in 234 files or programs being downloaded onto the Journal's test computer, 223 of which were from companies that track Web users."

1 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger spaceface01 said...

That's seriously terrifying!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home