Saturday, December 15, 2007

Name That Tune

I've enjoyed following the progress the internet has made over the years in helping identify songs. A good site I found recently is Musipedia. Of highest value is the Contour Search, which uses the Parsons method for identifying songs. You just start with the first note, then identify if each successive note is higher, lower, or repeated. It then matches against a large database.

For example, I was trying to think of an Enya song the other day (which turned out to be "Marble Halls"). So I entered the Parsons code for the melody:


Sure enough, the following showed up in the results:


This was doubly helpful - it triggered the name of the song for me, and also helped me realize where the original song came from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home